In this article, we are going to show you how to change your active status and how to appear offline on Facebook.
Facebook is the most popular social media channel. We can’t deny that so many things have changed since we started to use Facebook.
We can even say that it was a life-changing moment. And day after day, with the new features, Facebook is getting bigger.
You can chat with your friends, share videos and photos, make video calls, join groups, tag people, share stories, etc.
It is like Facebook would have been enough for us if there were no other social media channels.
Of course, it is a fantastic opportunity to talk with your contacts anytime you want, but maybe you want to spend some time on Facebook on your own.
Perhaps you just don’t have the time or energy to talk sometimes. We understand that, and luckily Facebook has a feature and lets you control your “Active Status.”
How to Appear Offline on Facebook on PC
When you are using a web browser, Facebook chat, and Facebook, Messenger is slightly different from each other. Actually, it doesn’t matter if you are having a conversation on Facebook chat or Messenger; it will end up showing on the same screen.
Maybe you didn’t even realize yet, but when you tap “Messenger” at the top left of your Facebook home screen, that’s Facebook Messenger. But if you send a message to someone from the pop-up window at the bottom right of your Facebook home screen, that’s Facebook chat.
And these two have different sets of options. Let’s see how we are going to control our active status on Facebook Messenger and Facebook chat.
To appear offline on Facebook through PC:
For Facebook Messenger
- Open Facebook on your web browser and log in.
- Tap “Messenger” at the top left of your Facebook home screen.
- Tap the gear icon at the top left of your Messenger screen and choose “Settings.”
- Turn off “Show when you are active” option. You can turn it off by tapping it.
- After that, click “Done.”
- Now, your contacts can’t see you active anymore. But, attention to the Facebook warning “You’ll still appear active or recently active unless you turn off the setting every place you are using Messenger or Facebook.” So make sure you turn it off on your phone too. We will show you how to do that also.
- Also if you turn this off, you won’t be able to see if your contacts are active or not.
For Facebook Chat
- Open Facebook on your web browser and log in.
- There is a chat tab on the left of your Facebook home screen. At the bottom of it, there is a gear icon, tap it.
- Select the “Turn off Active Status.” There are going to be three different options.
- If you don’t want anybody to text you, select the “Turn off active status for all contacts.”
- If you want a few people to see if you are active or not, select the “Turn off active status for all contacts except” and type the names that are going to be able to see your active status.
- If you don’t want a few people to know if you are busy or not, select the “Turn off active status for only some contacts” and type the names that are going to be unable to see your active status.”
- You’ll appear offline on Facebook now. Like the Facebook Messenger, if you turn off the active status, you can’t see other people’s active status too.
How to Appear Offline on Facebook Mobile App
I think if I say we use our mobile phones more than our computers, you will agree with me. Yes, maybe there are millions of people spending their time on the computer because of work, etc. but I think, for now, nothing can replace phones.
Yes, Facebook is aware of that, and it has two separated apps for phones, just to make things easier and more enjoyable: Facebook and Messenger.
Facebook app is like the Facebook we know but without a chat screen. So Messenger is a chat app.
And it’s not just a chat app; you can make calls, video calls, send audios, photos, etc. Of course, Facebook and Messenger are related, but they are just separated apps.
Like the Facebook chat and Facebook Messenger on computers, there are two ways to control your active status.
To appear offline on Facebook through mobile devices:
For Facebook App
- Open your Facebook app on your phone and log in.
- Tap the three lines at the bottom left of your screen.
- Scroll down and select “Settings and Privacy.”
- Then tap “Settings.”
- Scroll down again and find the “Active Status” option. It is under the “Privacy” section. Tap it.
- Turn off the “Show when you are active” option. There is going to be an alert says, “Turn off Active Status?”. Select “Turn Off.”
- In this way, you turn off your active status on the Facebook app. Let’s see how to turn it off on Messenger.
For the Messenger App
- Open your Messenger app on your phone and log in.
- Tap your photo at the top left of your screen.
- There is an option that says “Active Status.” Select it.
- Turn off the “Show when you are active” option just like you did on the Facebook app. When an alert comes, select “Turn Off.”
- With both of these ways, you turn off your active status on Facebook app and Messenger.
I think we are living the best times of technology and we have the right to take all the advantages of it.
So it is okay if you want to look at your new group’s posts or cute dog pics without being interrupted.
Maybe you don’t want some people to text you but can’t unfriend them just because you don’t want to hurt their feelings.
You don’t have to worry about it now. From your phone or computer, it doesn’t matter, now you know how to “politely” ignore people on Facebook.
We hope you don’t get caught and enjoy surfing Facebook in private.
Thanks for reading us!